Monday, October 23, 2017

Ornithology, or how to identify your feelings

I am but an amateur:
my Pathos sits in the shade of a pool umbrella
as a yellow-breasted swallow performs
schizophrenic swirls upon
aquamarine translucence.

These are the dimension of love that are difficult:
full commitment to the dive,
then changing your mind abruptly;
Kamikaze Logos - my inward thoughts
performing as a handsome aerialist.

We use science to understand the world,
but I am still an amateur
misidentifying my regrets as I sit
by the pool watching this bird
eat his breakfast.

1 comment:

aneibauer said...

I wrote this poem while watching a bird swirl above a public swimming pool. I may not be a professional ornithologist or a member of the National Audubon Society, but I couldn't help but feel that that bird had some answers. I wonder if his movements reflected my own inner thought processes.