Saturday, August 13, 2011

And So It Begins...

"If you want to be a writer, write."--Neil Gaiman 

Well, I tried that and found that I ran out of stuff to write about.  I think Neil also said something to the effect of: if you don't have anything to write about, go live your life---get a job or something.


It has been five years since my last posted poem.  For any of you out there who actually followed my writing, you were probably not surprised that the poems stopped coming.  I pretty much wrote about my childhood, first love, sex, the death of my mother, and my family (not necessarily in that order).  I reached a point when I felt  that I was writing the same poem, same line, over and over again.  So, I stopped.

I didn't stop writing, just stopped writing poetry.  I still continued to write next to and in front of my students every day: memoirs, editorials, short stories, expository pieces, etc...

So, here I am---five years later---ready to begin again.  I've turned thirty, had three kids, and moved to suburbia.  Now is as good of a time as ever to begin again.

And so it begins...

1 comment:

N. E. Levey said...

I just discovered your blog, and have had essentially the same thing happened. I haven't posted poetry online for quite some time because I was writing about the same things over and over. I just moved to a new city and I'm starting university, so I've started up again.
I think when we (poets) get stuck in a deep-seeded problem we can spend too much time trying to figure it out by writing, and sometimes the only way to figure it out is by living.
I'm excited to read more.
-Nicole