Thursday, August 18, 2011

Music



There have been a lot of things I forgot in my five-year absence from the blogosphere.  As I return to sending out my writing into this void, things are slowly coming back to me.

I had forgotten the power of music.

Last night, I went to a concert: Parachute opening for Goo Goo Dolls.  It was an amazing show, full of good sets of great music.  However, the thing I enjoyed the most was watching (and feeling) how, as each song reverberated through the audience, people from all walks of life transformed.

There were fat people, skinny people, teenage girls, pre-teen girls, parents, old-timers, kids, adults, groupies, obsessed Goo Goo Doll fans, and people new to Parachute.   All came together last night to listen to some music.  It may sound strange, but I was surprised at how much fun people had.... even the ones who didn't seem to "dig" the music initially.  It only took a few songs before EVERYONE was having a good time.

The sad part.... the really difficult part, was watching the lights come back on and people exiting the space to re-enter reality.  It was almost instantaneous; people went from smiles to a determined visage attempting to navigate the arena and parking lot.  Why were people so eager to return to the outside world?  Didn't they want to hold on to those earlier feelings brought on my listening to music.

The transformation back to "normal" was sad to watch.  Girls who were bubbly and excited were now serious  and indifferent to what lay outside the arena.  Guys who jammin' to the concert were now just stoic and ready to leave.... perhaps ready to go to bed and possibly even work the next day.

On the ride home, our own change was more gradual.  We reminisced a bit, as if the concert were such a long time ago.  However, by the time we entered the highway, it was quiet and decompressing.

So, how can we hold onto that feeling?  How can you re-enter the world still with a piece of concert fun?  Is listening to the radio enough?  I don't think so.  Maybe I need to go to another concert to figure it out.



No comments: